Monday, January 26, 2009

Back on track

I'm still here - haven't done myself in out of desperation!

I'm really thankful for great friends who help steer me on this journey, and can be truthful with me.

I'm probably not moving to Strathalbyn just yet - it's still a possibility for the future, but not in the next 12 months.

This morning I was thinking about people's reactions to the news that friends have separated. I know of some pastors who have given warnings to people in the past about their behaviours or attitudes and that if they don't get dealt with, it will be the end of their marriage. Then when the marriage goes off the tracks, those people sit back and say "well, I did warn them....".

See, the thing is that just because we've given someone a warning about something, doesn't mean we are absolved of all responsibility does it? I know that people have to want to get help (ovbiously, I'm aware of that through very harsh personal experience) but don't we all have a responsibility to help one another (bearing each other's burdens whilst carrying our own loads). I don't think it's ok for anyone to sit back and feel satisfied that they've done all they could, just because they pointed out issues in another person's life. We need to journey with people on their road to healing, and I mean a solid, committed journey of life, not just a connecting on Sunday and a phone call during the week to make us feel better. That is not truly caring for someone. A Kiwi speaking at a Mainly Music conference last year (Mick Duncan) said that we need to solidly commit to journey with someone for 18months before we can expect to see any real change in their life. I think Rob Bell may have also reinforced this in one of his Nooma dvd's. ("004 Sunday")

What responsibility do we have to help each other along this journey? I don't think Jesus would have just walked away if it looked too hard and too messy. But then with the Rich Young Ruler He laid out the conditions and allowed the guy to walk away.... I'm a bit confused. I guess I just don't like the self-righteousness that sometimes comes with people's attitudes and judgements regarding the mistakes and potholes we fall into in life sometimes.

On another completely different note - I'm very unhappy about our heatwave this week. Typically the first week back at school is a stinker, but isn't this just a bit ridiculous?! 35, 41, 41, 41, 39, 35, 37.....and that's celcius not farenheidt!!! Keep cool friends.

No comments: