Monday, February 2, 2009

A new house, a new start

Great news, I found out last Friday I have a new home to move to. It's a 2 bedroom homette not far from the girl's school which is great. The rent is the max. that I was prepared to pay, so I'm sure that will be ok. It's so exciting to just think about having our own place to settle in and make our own.

I am moving on Valentine's Day! so that will be nice - it's not like I'll have anything else to do on that day!

I'm a big procrastinator when it comes to packing the house. We have done this lots of times before, and I would always leave it til the last minute, and D would get frustrated and do the packing himself. But now D isn't here to do it, so I just have to summon up some internal will to actually do it...... not easy, but I think I am growing a bit in this area, ie. learning that no-one else is here to do it for me so I just have to.

Being a parent is a great thing because I'll often do things for the sake of the girls, when I wouldn't actually do them just for my own sake. It is a great motivator to have children relying on you.

I am soooooo over this heat wave. After about 3 days I get into the groove and it's just same-old-same-old (it was like that during last year's heat wave too) and doesn't bother me too much. I become resigned to it, can't do anything to change it so just get on with life the best I can. I think too that it takes a few days to realise that you can't actually go full-pelt at life during a heat wave. The first few days you think you can and then you just get exhausted and fall in a heap. Once you reset your expectations it seems to be easier - slow down, take it a bit easier and it's better. But now it's into the second week I'VE HAD ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!! The saving grace is that for the last 2 nights we've been able to sleep back in our bedrooms with just a fan on us (had been sleeping in the loungeroom with a/c on all night and all day, not moving much from that room). There has been a really strong 'breeze' the last couple of nights which has helped a bit. Still been roughly 30deg over night, but with air moving around a bit it just seems easier. I'm still waiting for night time temps to get below 25deg, then it will be nice. I guess it builds our perseverance and resilience!

I am actually distracting myself at the moment by doing this blog when I should be packing, so I'm going to get up and just do it.

Cheerio.

No comments: