Thursday, June 11, 2009

Odd advice from a paediatrician

Tonight Princess S had an appointment with her paediatrician. She has been on losec since she was about 10 weeks old, and has had a trial of 5 weeks off it. We're all very happy that she's fine and doesn't appear to have the chronic reflux issues that she's had most of her young life. She also hasn't had asthma for about a year so that is also fantastic. So, for the time being at least, we don't need to see Dr P anymore. This is great news. We've been to see him at least every 6 months since Princess S was 14 weeks old (we switched from another paediatrician at this point). Dr P is a wonderful doctor - the type who believes that Mums should be listened to as they know their child better than anyone, the type of doctor who always refers to little girls (even babies) as women. He's also pretty cute for an (oldish) guy! Everyone who's ever taken their kids to him agrees - well, at least the women, anyway!
Last time we saw him was about a month after D and I separated. He gave me a mini lecture about getting back into the 'scene' and that I was still so young I should not stay single for too long, I still have a lot to offer someone..... This was all a bit odd, embarrassing/uncomfortable coming from my daughter's doctor.
So tonight he wanted to know how things are going. He asked if I had a boyfriend and I said no and he asked if I was having casual sex?!!! What?!?! This is my daughter's doctor! I told him that as much as I would like that, I'm a Christian and I don't believe casual sex is a great idea for me. He said, "well, it can be ok can't it in a committed relationship? like committed for a few hours"!!!! OMG! he's such a crack up. I think he actually was reasonably serious.
I'm sad to know that we won't go back to see him. He's such a lovely doctor. Thanks Dr P for being so great and helping us through some pretty tough times.
ps I told him my BFF (I've changed this from BF cos it seemed to suggest boyfriend, instead of best friend...) had a son 21 years ago and he was the paediatrician and my friend told him to leave cos he was too good looking! He actually blushed a bit and said 'yeah, that's happened a couple of times!' How funny is he.
I'll be going to bed with a smile on my face tonight thinking about his world view.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROFL!! I love that you told him BFF's story and that it's not the only incident he's had!! :D Hehe... I hope if we need a paediatrician for any reason, we get him ;)
Can't wait to laugh and P.O.P.s tonight (we've been instructed to bring Tenas!)
Love AB

Anonymous said...

OMG ... how funny. How does one accept that kind of question from one's childs Paediatrician?? I find it hard enough to cope with the Gynaecologist asking me those kind of questions. TE

Anonymous said...

yeah...soooo funny that you told him BFF's story!! BFF xx