Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Conditioned Taste Aversion

One of my current Uni subjects is Intro to Psychology and this week I'm learning about Learning. One thing that's mentioned is a thing called Conditioned Taste Aversion.
"Suppose you want to teach a rat to dislike a certain food, such as prawns. Following the usual procedure, you pair the food (prawns) with drugs that cause nausea or other unpleasant symptoms (toxic event). The rat would then learn to associate the flavour of the food with nausea and leave it alone." (direct quote from my lecture slides)
So I'm thinking if I could get hold of a drug that causes nausea, I could condition myself to not want chocolate, cakes, or any other unhealthy food.
Any suggestions of where I could get such a drug? (this is kind of tongue in cheek, but I do wonder why this treatment isn't used for people like me who have learned to be emotional eaters?)

4 comments:

Brandi-lee said...

Maybe because some of us are prepared for the upset just for the pleasure of taste. I KNOW that Ikea's meatballs DO NOT like me, but I figure I make it home before the stomach starts to spasm so I STILL eat them when I'm there....yeah, I know, the rat is smarter than me!

J said...

My new dairy allergy is working for me so far, the side effects of dairy are making not eat chocolate or any other dairy...how long this will last I have no idea..but if I want to have a life outside of the toilet then I cant eat it ..:(

Anonymous said...

LOL ... sounds just like 'Pavlov's Dogs' They were conditioned to salivate at the sound of a bell. Maybe you're more like Pavlov's dogs than the rats?? (tongue also very firmly in cheek, LOL). Once again I say ... get on to Rick Kausmanns website. TE

J said...

Pav's dogs was part of the lesson too. I definitely am more like the dogs than the rats! lol, Jen