Tuesday, April 21, 2009

6 days of creation, then Adam....

On Sunday I was sitting in church and God reminded me of something my good friend DNW spoke to me about many years ago, from a slightly different perspective. I then had quite a revelation about the creation of Adam.
After God created Adam He could see that it wasn't good for man to be alone. So He brought all the animals He's just created and paraded them before Adam, and asked Adam to name them all. After every single animal in the world had been presented, God could see that none of them were suitable to be Adam's help-mate. So God put Adam to sleep and He created Eve from Adam's rib. I think in this day and age, with the way we relate to God much of the time, we would expect that God would have called Adam over and shared His concept of woman....and ask for Adam's opinion.
But no, God didn't do that. He put Adam to sleep.
When Adam had his greatest need, God put Him to sleep. A rest. Adam rested and God provided the solution.
The other part of my revelation on Sunday was that as I opened my Bible and started re-reading the passage around Adam's creation something quite staggering occurred to me. God created the world in 6 days, then He rested, then He created Adam. Adam wasn't a part of the initial creation! Why? God says He created man in our image (our = trinity). He wasn't created along with the land, sea, birds, etc. He was created as an extension of the relationship within the Trinity.
I had never ever thought about this. I'd always just thought that Adam and Eve were created within the 6 days.....obviously hadn't read my Bible, had I?!
Tonight I mentioned this to BF and she said that she'd never really thought about it cos He rested on the 7th day, so there must have been (in her reasoning) more work to do. I'd never seen it that way. I'd always thought He'd worked pretty hard for the 6 days, so He deserved a rest and I didn't ever think about "what did He do after that?!" Her assumption was that there must have been more cos His rest was only for one day..... it's all the way we see it, isn't it? I think I'm a looking-back kind of person and BF is a looking-forward kind of person.....perhaps.

No comments: