Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sharp Knives

I was given a set of Wiltshire knives about 11 years ago. They were laser cut and would never need to be sharpened. At least that's what the box said....

To start with they were very sharp and I was really impressed. Laser cut knives were the way of the future. I'll never need another set of knives for the rest of my life.

Some years later my BF (best friend) was cutting up some chicken (at least I think that's what it was...who knows) and she complained rather loudly that my knives were crap and I need to buy some decent ones. What?! No way, my knives are great. They're laser cut you know and they never get blunt. She disagreed and claimed that her knives were much sharper and easier to cut with. I wasn't completely convinced.

I also knew that a new set of knives would be pretty costly and I didn't really want to spend the money on a new set.

With all the stimulii going around lately I decided it would be a good investment to buy a new knife set. That was about 2 months ago and I'm still surprised almost on a daily basis at how brilliant my new knives are. It's worth mentioning that I bought a straight-edged set that has a sharpener in the block. I can cut through bread rolls with a straight edged knife. I can dice chicken fillets quicker than Jeff Jansz. I'm amazed at how totally useless and time-consuming my old knife set was. And I was too ignorant to see it, and when I was told about it I didn't want to hear.

I was going to write an analogy with the knives and my marriage - but then I decided it sounded a lot better when it was still in my head, so that's where it will stay.

Thank you (publicly) BF for telling me that my knives were crap.

It's important for us to tell each other when our knives are crap. It's the loving thing to do.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMAO ... that's too funny! (the loving thing to do ... love it). I know my knives are crap, but I'm too tight to buy new ones (so don't bother doing the loving thing ... lol). I can live with my crap knives.

I wanted to share a funny story with you which follows on from your discussion about shopping bags a while ago. The Flying Dutchman has been VERY anti the whole thing and having to supply our own. So much so that he went out and brought several thousand plastic bags on rolls so that we could take them with us and use them instead of having to pay $1.00 each for the cloth ones. He was very proud of his stance and particularly the fact that it only cost him a couple of cents per bag!

Here's the kicker though ... we went shopping last Wednesday night and after one isle and two items in the shopping trolley he had a revelation. We had forgotten to bring the plastic shopping bags. Now at this point I have to admit to a temporary moment of insanity (I should mention that I could really care less about the whole thing ... buy the bags, build a bridge, get over it you know??); back to my moment of insanity ... as The Dutchman was there literally having a melt down I was standing with arms folded and kind of smirking 'cause I thought it was kinda funny that after the massive deal he's made for months now and having spent all that money on plastic shopping bags ... he'd gone and left them home (well I could hardly be expected to remember them ... I could care less). It seems that A didn't appreciate my sense of humour and got even more upset (at which point I had to start laughing internally ... which when you're overweight as I am can be a little hard to maintain ... it tends to wobble out).

We actually stood there in the isle for 5 minutes whilst he had his meltdown ... trying to work out what to do. I figured we had two choices - finish the shopping, buy the bags and be done with it; or put the shopping back, go home and do the shopping the next day with our very own plastic bags. Seems simple. Apparently not ... we had to stand around for several more minutes.

Eventually sanity prevailed (and me refusing to finish the shopping and make a scene at the register by leaving the shopping there helped) and we completed our shopping and bought 5 cloth bags. But you know don't you that it didn't end there. The Dutchman proceeded to sulk for the rest of the night (well, if my 10 year old did it I'd call it sulking). He actually stopped talking to me so I sent him off to tea at the Club without me.

Is there a moral to this story? Maybe don't marry a Dutchman. LOL ... luckily he has lots of redeeming qualities.

TE

Anonymous said...

TE you are an absoloute crack-up. You should be doing a blog yourself. Would give us all something to laugh at. I'm sure being married to The Dutchman would give you plenty of material....hee hee. Thanks for your story, it was gold. Jen

Anonymous said...

lol. you are both a crack up! and yes TE, you should write yr own blog - you are fantastic! Maybe all you sisters should get together and write a book called "Our Husbands...!" that would be a fascinating read - better than any Jackie Collins saga i bet!
And jen - i love you so much I'm more than happy to tell you yr knives are crap!! I only did it because I knew of a much easier way to do it!! BF xxx

Anonymous said...

and TE - buy some new bloody knives! You'll be amazed!! J's BF

Anonymous said...

LOL BF ... you have to understand that being married to the Flying Dutchman has rubbed off on me. There would have been a time (once upon a time) where I would have begged my BF to tell me that my knives were crap, just so I could go out and buy more knives. Sadly those days are gone ... now I'm happy when I get to buy new socks!! (which I did on Wednesday night ... and can I tell you, I love my new socks ... very comfy!!) LOL. It's all good. TE

Anonymous said...

TE - if all you sisters wrote the book "Our Husbands'.... and made lots of money, then you could go and buy some new knives and everyone will be happy.... and laughing at your funny stories! BF